Skip to main content

Reflections from "The Happiness Project" (the book I read twice in the Congo)

It's been a few months since I've read this book, but one thing has stayed at the forefront of my mind.


Every once in a while I peruse her blog, but not often enough.

Gretchen spends a lot of time (a year in fact - and she finds out she's not the only one who's done this) focusing on her happiness.  She thinks it might be selfish to focus on one's own happiness rather than focusing on other people's happiness.  She finds though that while you are focusing on your own happiness, you will in turn, naturally, help other people be happy.

Her adventures include: vitality, marriage, work, parenthood, leisure, friendship, money, eternity, books, mindfulness, and attitude.  The twelfth money is "happiness boot camp perfect" where she tries to work on all of her resolutions for the entire month.  I read this book twice while I was on my trip to to Congo.  Why? It was pretty good and I ran out of books and staring at the ceiling of a plane is not my favorite thing to do!

I don't remember all of her resolutions, but a few have stood out over the course of months and I've continued some.  One that I do almost all of the time is to complete any task that takes less than 2 minutes.  This has really helped me to prevent procrastinating, which is a serious problem for me.  As I type this there is a stack of laundry on my bed that will need to be put away before I go to bed tonight.  I should have done it earlier - one 2 minute fail for today, but definitely a win before bed because there's no way I'm going to sleep on the couch tonight!

Her month on friendship is of particular interest.  The resolutions are to: remember birthdays, be generous, show up, don't gossip, make three new friends.  I haven't purposefully taken up these resolutions, but upon reflections, I realize that I regularly strive for these things.

Remember Birthdays.  Birthdays have always been hard for me to remember, but with the facebook and google showing me contact's birthdays on my calendar, I am much better.  At least sending a text, if not a call.  It means something to me when people call, send a card, text, send me a message, or something for my birthday - so I've been trying to do the same.  I have been covering my nieces' and nephew's birthdays pretty well these past two to three years, which is a super step up.  And I'm going to New York in a few weeks to celebrate my baby brother's 25th birthday.

Being Generous.  After my time in the Congo I've been focusing on being generous not only in my time and money with others - but with my patience.  It's really difficult for me, but I want to be known as someone who is joyful, patient, able to help others, and just a nice girl to be around.  So I've been working on it.  Also being generous with my opinions - ie: not forming them hastily.  This is extremely difficult for me, but completely worth it.

Show Up.  Be there!  A few weeks ago, I was able to 'show up' to hang with my godson!  It was a great way to spend a Saturday morning!

Google creates these cool 'gifs' when you have a bunch of the same pic!
I'm LOVING them!  And it looks like Shep is punching himself out, which he wasn't!

Don't Gossip.  This has always been a hard area for me, but as I grow in virtue, it's easier to only share information that is mine to share.  And also to not be curious about other people's lives so much.  Or at least remembering the old adage "curiosity killed the cat"!

Make 3 New Friends.  I've been working on this, and succeeding.  I met and have gotten to know Stephanie after an introduction by my pastor.  It's been great getting to know her, her husband, and her three cutie boys!  I've also spent the last year getting to know Erica, the one with the twins, better.  I love being friends with her and getting to hang out with her cutie twins, who turned one a few weeks ago.  I've also focused on renewing some friendships I've had for a while here in Charlotte.  I realized a few weeks ago that I was becoming a little lazy in my friendships.  Taking them for granted a little bit, but not reaching out to spend time with them.  So I will count that as my '3rd' friendship if this other one I have in mind doesn't work out that well!


The rest of Gretchin's resolutions were awesome, and reading about her happiness project has encouraged me to live more intentionally.  When the book is unpacked in the new house, I think I may give it another read!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NAS: A Day in the Life

It's 2015 and Tuesday so that means that we are back at the Not Alone Series !  A huge thanks to Jen and Morgan for hosting and for helping all of us ladies gather together to remember that we aren't broken, we aren't alone, and we are loved by God. Let's get back in the swing by sharing what our typical day is like! Tell us however you like, minute by minute or a blurb about your day! Be sure to answer these questions:  - What is your favorite part of your day? - What is your least favorite part of your day? - Are you making any changes to your daily routine now that the new year has begun? Well my typical day use to be not so typical, but then I took a huge leap and got a new job that is a lot eaiser to have a routine that is pretty set.  I am someone who loves routine, I crave stability, and although I can make changes into my routine, they have to be determined by me to stick.  So a typical day? I set my alarm to go off at 6:46am, I get out o

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online Dating some time ago ( link ) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!

NAS: Travel

How do you travel as a single lady?! Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Do you have anything fun planned for this year? Multiple times per week when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning I think about how boring my life is, how I never go anywhere. To be honest that is a complete and utter lie. I mean between July 2013 and March 2014, I hung out on four different continents - let along the time I spent traveling around the U.S. to Denver, New York City, Savannah, Orlando, and my parent's place. I'm the girl who bought a plane ticket to Africa and went into the bush all alone. (it's a great story ) Let me type that again - I went to the Congo, alone! I still can't even believe that I did that - it's the craziest thing ever ... but the most amazing experience of my life. So my off the cuff tips for traveling alone, they aren't super original, so be prepared to be underwhelmed! If you want to go somewhere, just do it - buy the ti