Skip to main content

Keep It? Trash It? Remember It Forever?

I am in the process of moving from the apartment I've lived in for more than 3 years to a brand new (to me) townhouse!

My New Place!
Anyway - on Saturday I went into my closet and thought "I should go through these cards and throw most of them away, why am I such a pack rat?"  I mean, I had a TON of cards - I've been keeping things for years ... notes from old roommates, Halloween cards, Christmas cards, Thank You cards, an entire container of cards I got when I left my last job almost 3 1/2 years ago, and even bills from years ago that needed to be shredded.  And after reading this post from Kendra (Q2), I had been thinking about going through these things for weeks - and also that I'm trying not to move trash into my new house.

So I started with this mess of stuff...


You are seeing that correct - that is a basket, an animal cracker container, a shoe box, and a plastic tub FULL of cards!  There are even a few more that are already packed (very recent cards, thank you notes, words of kindness from my trip to the Congo - that I've already decided to keep that haven't been 'archived' in my new system yet.

I had planned to throw it all out - because seriously - who really needs to keep all of this stuff.  Then after 45 minutes of reading through all of the cards, I got to a few that I couldn't throw in the trash pile.  What cards stopped me?

Three cards from Floyd and Ceil (my Confirmation sponsor and his wife) from my college graduation, another when I was featured in our hometown newspaper in their 52 Weeks of Success series about 6 years ago, and another that Ceil sent me after Floyd passed away this past year.  I'll never receive another card from Floyd, how could I throw those ones away?

A note from my Aunt Char that came a few weeks after the last time I saw her back at Christmas in 2008.  It was a reflection on our time together and a photo of the two of us.  The picture is quite terrible of me - almost 60 pounds heavier, terrible acne, and it was taken in our PJs one morning right before I left.  I couldn't throw it away.

Notes from my friend Mike when he first entered the Novitiate at Saint Vincent.  He was ordained this May and those notes are a reminder of a simple time, and a friend who is so great at sending hand written notes in this day of email, texting, and facebook.  These couldn't be thrown away.

Then there were cards from my parents - for every occasion.  My mom sent me a card and a gift for all of the mundane holidays of life for a few years in a row - and still now.  Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving.  I couldn't throw them out.

Other cards (all with handwritten notes) from old friends from Saint Marys - Erin, Stephanie, Cathy, Elisabeth, and Kayla.  Beautiful cards from some monks I know at SVC - one of them was a random note the was the reason why I didn't move back home about 4 years ago for a job.  These all had special meaning to me and couldn't go in the garbage.

Finally, cards from my beautiful group of friends - handwritten notes of thanks, random 'hellos', and birthday cards expressing the love us friends have for each other.  Meredith, MG, Devon, Shep, Erica, Lisa, and more ... they couldn't go in the trash either.

I did get rid of the cards that just had names signed without a note (except the ones from my grandmother - because at 90, I want to have the last card she sends me, and I don't know when that will be ... one of hers is signed "I don't do this for all of my grandchildren.").  I am also getting rid of the animal cracker container of notes that was given to me when I left my previous parish - I haven't pulled these off the shelf in my closet in 3 years, and can't see a time in the next 30 that I will.


So all of these will go down to the trash this afternoon - random Christmas cards, old thank you notes from my previous job, and programs for the plays, Ordinations, Church Events, that I just throw in the bucket, but have no meaning years later.

And here is my new 'stash' of cards - organized by giver so I can check them out and relive the memories whenever I want!  Also are most recent copies of bills, checks, blank notes (those will always be useful), and a camera!


Next time I get a card I can add it to my box of memories!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NAS: A Day in the Life

It's 2015 and Tuesday so that means that we are back at the Not Alone Series !  A huge thanks to Jen and Morgan for hosting and for helping all of us ladies gather together to remember that we aren't broken, we aren't alone, and we are loved by God. Let's get back in the swing by sharing what our typical day is like! Tell us however you like, minute by minute or a blurb about your day! Be sure to answer these questions:  - What is your favorite part of your day? - What is your least favorite part of your day? - Are you making any changes to your daily routine now that the new year has begun? Well my typical day use to be not so typical, but then I took a huge leap and got a new job that is a lot eaiser to have a routine that is pretty set.  I am someone who loves routine, I crave stability, and although I can make changes into my routine, they have to be determined by me to stick.  So a typical day? I set my alarm to go off at 6:46am, I get out o

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online Dating some time ago ( link ) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!

NAS: Travel

How do you travel as a single lady?! Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Do you have anything fun planned for this year? Multiple times per week when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning I think about how boring my life is, how I never go anywhere. To be honest that is a complete and utter lie. I mean between July 2013 and March 2014, I hung out on four different continents - let along the time I spent traveling around the U.S. to Denver, New York City, Savannah, Orlando, and my parent's place. I'm the girl who bought a plane ticket to Africa and went into the bush all alone. (it's a great story ) Let me type that again - I went to the Congo, alone! I still can't even believe that I did that - it's the craziest thing ever ... but the most amazing experience of my life. So my off the cuff tips for traveling alone, they aren't super original, so be prepared to be underwhelmed! If you want to go somewhere, just do it - buy the ti