Skip to main content

Being Single ... Still

I've been thinking about what I'm going to write here for a few days. I've been wanting to get my thoughts down, but can't figure out what I want to discuss. What I want to tell my future self about this time in my life. I watched the movie Spotlight on Friday and had some thoughts I wanted to share, but it's such a difficult topic that I'm not sure this is the place to discuss them or that I have them all worked out in my mind. Last night a friend and I watched War Room which was really great - and I thought about writing about that, but not really moved. I did listen to that book on the library Hoopla app a few months ago and it was just as good - I highly recommend that. In the past few weeks, I've been watching Friends on Netflix and I've had some thoughts about that as well, but doesn't seem like fuel for discussion here.

So this morning, I googled "writing prompts for single women" and found a blog by Mandy Hale, who sounds so familiar to me, but I can't place how I know her. Maybe I followed her on Instagram, but I cannot remember. Anyway... I read through them all, and didn't feel like writing about any of those things, but then I found this article of hers: Why I'm Still Single - The Ugly Truth. It's very excellently written. I felt like I was reading some of my own journal notes.

Mandy writes:
The truth is…I don’t know exactly why I’m still single. I think I’m starting to come to a better understanding of why…but for the moment, it’s still just shadowed and blurry truth that I’m struggling to make sense of. But the reasons I often convince myself that I’m still single aren’t pretty.
There are the reasons I tell people like her, as simple as "I haven't met someone who wants to marry me, that I also want to marry, yet." That's the objective truth. I almost wrote "someone who wants to marry me," but then I would have friends who tell me that isn't true - that I've rejected guys before who are interested in me, that I'm not interested in for one reason for another.

However, like Mandy - that's not the reason that I believe in the hard moments, in the difficult evenings when I'm alone, in the times when I'm a single gal in the middle of a ton of couples. During those times, it feels more like something's wrong with me or that I've done something wrong recently or in the past. 

This is the exact area where the devil digs in and destroys me. Right here in my singleness, in the times when I'm alone and it feels like there's no hope of it changing. What if I am single forever? That's the question that haunts me and the one that I don't know if I'm comfortable with. 

I wish I could end this with some piece of amazing wisdom, with some words of positive affirmation, with a solution. I can't.

I can only tell myself that there were many other times in my life when I didn't see what was at the end of the tunnel. I didn't see what was going to come next when I was struggling with my job as Office Manager. I had no idea how I was going to get out of there and move on to something better for me. I couldn't see that working at OSV was what was right around the corner.

I didn't see what was at the end of the tunnel when I had trouble with a roommate after my friend got married and moved out. This one took a little longer to resolve. I had two more roommates in that apartment before I ended up purchasing my townhouse. I had some great times with those ladies, but the years of renting and not knowing if I was going to have a roommate for the next year or not was difficult.

Although these things aren't decisions as big as a life partner and living our my vocation - they do remind me of the Lord and his faithfulness toward me. He's been faithful in the past and he will be again in the future. 

Comments

  1. Not having an answer is so hard. But your last sentence says it all. God is faithful. He never leaves us. It's the times of suffering, loneliness, etc. that call us back to him. We'll never know the future, but like you said, sometimes we'll understand things better in retrospect. As far as my experience goes, there's no solution to this other than trust and surrender. Which stinks but is awesome at the same time. Keeping you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust and Surrender ... those are the keys, if only they were easier to do! Lots of prayers to you as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online Dating some time ago ( link ) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!

NAS: A Day in the Life

It's 2015 and Tuesday so that means that we are back at the Not Alone Series !  A huge thanks to Jen and Morgan for hosting and for helping all of us ladies gather together to remember that we aren't broken, we aren't alone, and we are loved by God. Let's get back in the swing by sharing what our typical day is like! Tell us however you like, minute by minute or a blurb about your day! Be sure to answer these questions:  - What is your favorite part of your day? - What is your least favorite part of your day? - Are you making any changes to your daily routine now that the new year has begun? Well my typical day use to be not so typical, but then I took a huge leap and got a new job that is a lot eaiser to have a routine that is pretty set.  I am someone who loves routine, I crave stability, and although I can make changes into my routine, they have to be determined by me to stick.  So a typical day? I set my alarm to go off at 6:46am, I get out o

NAS: Travel

How do you travel as a single lady?! Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Do you have anything fun planned for this year? Multiple times per week when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning I think about how boring my life is, how I never go anywhere. To be honest that is a complete and utter lie. I mean between July 2013 and March 2014, I hung out on four different continents - let along the time I spent traveling around the U.S. to Denver, New York City, Savannah, Orlando, and my parent's place. I'm the girl who bought a plane ticket to Africa and went into the bush all alone. (it's a great story ) Let me type that again - I went to the Congo, alone! I still can't even believe that I did that - it's the craziest thing ever ... but the most amazing experience of my life. So my off the cuff tips for traveling alone, they aren't super original, so be prepared to be underwhelmed! If you want to go somewhere, just do it - buy the ti