Skip to main content

7 Quick Takes Friday ... er, Sunday, February 15th



Well Hello there Quick Takes from Friday but now on Sunday! A day late and a dollar short I am this week, but still wanted to post as I feel like much has been happening around these parts! So here's to living the Friday dream on a cold Sunday morning!


This week we finished our sixth week of a Living your Strengths small group in which I was participating. (if you're new to the LYS idea, check out this parish's explanation) I don't think I wrote about that, but it was really interesting the first couple of weeks, and the final few weeks felt like we were saying the same things over and over again. I have a natural talent for this that I'm acquiring skills in to turn into a greater strength. I've known my top five since the first year I worked at Saint Mark (my previous parish and job) when we were all required to take the test before a staff retreat. I am (in order): Input, Connectedness, Belief, Arranger, Achiever. To quickly explain each:

  • Input: a collector of ideas or things, someone who strives to know a little about a lot.
  • Connectedness: see how all people, things, and events intertwine with one another.
  • Belief: a core set of values and beliefs that one lives by in all situations.
  • Arranger: an organizer who can make complicated systems simpler.
  • Achiever: someone who needs to accomplish something every day.
I can see all of these themes in my daily life, in the work I do today, and in how I operate. Joining the group was more of a way to meet more people, strengthen relationships with those I know only as acquaintances, and see where I am being called to serve next. There was one activity in the third week, the Mirroring Activity, that was especially fruitful. You were to find two people, tell them about your top five themes of talent, and then have them relate back to you how they see it in you. I asked a friend, Lisa, who is the person in Charlotte I've known the longest - she was very insightful. I also chose someone I work with regularly who knows me very well, again it was insightful. She could also see, very clearly, the areas where the talent shines forth its negative side. Not as happy, but still pretty helpful.

All in all, I'm glad I participated in the group and happy it's over!


After a hot headed parishioner called to complain about a myriad of things earlier this week and the conversation that followed from the staff, I decided that I should start writing about my personal faith journey and experience with Latin, traditional things, and the extraordinary form. I think I have a unique perspective that is not entirely intellectual, but personal. So I stared by planning to write one post about it, and it got super long, so I have broken it up into a six to eight week series. I'm excited to share with you and also hear feedback. So if you missed it this week, check out the first in the Latin & Me series over here. If there are things I don't talk about and you want to know if I experienced them, just let me know, I'm pretty eager to share about this idea these days!


I wrote last week all about my Whole30 experience and the results. This week has been pretty good with some more integration, but taking it slow as I'm finding that dairy really affects me, like a lot, like waking up to a serious stomach ache in the middle of the night last night. I think this was the culprit - the delicious flan that Sr. Edeva made for me this week!


So sad I won't be able to have the rest of our dessert from last night this afternoon! I really don't want to have another terrible stomach ache!


Yesterday was Valentine's Day, of course, and I got to spend it over with the Beek's! I volunteered by baby sitting services (happy new year's resolution) so they could have a date night, or as it turned out a date day out and they were so sweet. I went home with all kinds of VDay loot!!!


Such beautiful flowers for my kitchen!!


Then in the evening MG and I tried our hand at making homemade sushi again!




We learned a lot last time an this adventure was even more delicious! Nice to be able to hang out with such a great friend!!


And this week begins the typically dreaded season of Lent! I haven't fully decided on my Lenten Penance regarding fasting - but do know what I'm going to do for prayer. On my 25 things for the next 25 years list I made when turning 25, I wrote how I wanted to read the entire Bible, so I found a plan that breaks up the year with 3 readings each day (OT, psalm/proverb, NT) and even adds in the catechism. I'm planning to begin on Wednesday and then continue through the entire year - and with potential skip days, conclude next Easter! So big spiritual task, here I come!

For more Quickity, Quick Takes, check out the gang with Kelly over at This Ain't the Lyceum!
See you next week, or stop by this week for more musings and antics!

Comments

  1. I've always wanted to read the entire bible but the task seems so daunting I never do anything about it! I need to find a guide of some sort.

    That sushi looks delicious! My sisters husband made homemade sushi once and it sounded really complicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sushi is actually easier than you'd think - not as easy as making a bowl of rice and throwing the ingredients on top, but still quite easy!

      And here's the link I found for the bible reading: http://www.chnetwork.org/readguide04.pdf

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online Dating some time ago ( link ) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!

NAS: A Day in the Life

It's 2015 and Tuesday so that means that we are back at the Not Alone Series !  A huge thanks to Jen and Morgan for hosting and for helping all of us ladies gather together to remember that we aren't broken, we aren't alone, and we are loved by God. Let's get back in the swing by sharing what our typical day is like! Tell us however you like, minute by minute or a blurb about your day! Be sure to answer these questions:  - What is your favorite part of your day? - What is your least favorite part of your day? - Are you making any changes to your daily routine now that the new year has begun? Well my typical day use to be not so typical, but then I took a huge leap and got a new job that is a lot eaiser to have a routine that is pretty set.  I am someone who loves routine, I crave stability, and although I can make changes into my routine, they have to be determined by me to stick.  So a typical day? I set my alarm to go off at 6:46am, I get out o

NAS: Travel

How do you travel as a single lady?! Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Do you have anything fun planned for this year? Multiple times per week when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning I think about how boring my life is, how I never go anywhere. To be honest that is a complete and utter lie. I mean between July 2013 and March 2014, I hung out on four different continents - let along the time I spent traveling around the U.S. to Denver, New York City, Savannah, Orlando, and my parent's place. I'm the girl who bought a plane ticket to Africa and went into the bush all alone. (it's a great story ) Let me type that again - I went to the Congo, alone! I still can't even believe that I did that - it's the craziest thing ever ... but the most amazing experience of my life. So my off the cuff tips for traveling alone, they aren't super original, so be prepared to be underwhelmed! If you want to go somewhere, just do it - buy the ti