Skip to main content

7 Quick Takes Friday, July 12th


For More Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

- 1 -  I just returned from visiting Elisabeth in Denver.  The Rocky Mountains are amazing!  I had never seen them up close, well as close as you can get to a giant range of mountains.  But anyway, they are amazing!



More Pics Here
- 2 - I've begun my packing for World Youth Day, we leave next Sunday!  I'm getting a little nervous - but, I purchased a rain coat and a super absorbent towel for showering - now just all o the things with a brown dot on my list need to be purchased, a map needs to be located, and it all needs to be packed!

why doesn't internet explorer rotate that pic?
whatever!
My concern is how all that is going to fit into that?!


But as I told our pilgrims, 'Light as a Feather makes everything better!'!!!

- 3 - And I wrote a little paragraph for our Catholic Newspaper yesterday, thought I'd share it here, because it probably won't be printed in its entirety there:
When asked to help with this trip I felt it was Divine Providence.  Pope Francis had only been pope for a few weeks and I already felt a strong connection to him as his election occurred on my birthday.  I've been reading his Daily Homilies and am inspired on a regular basis to grow in holiness and become a better Christian.  When we found out about the bankruptcy of our Travel Agent, to say that I was heartbroken would be an understatement.  I was devastated!  I had my heart set on meeting 'my Pope' and to found out that might not happen because of some mismanagement of funds of some guy out West (who had been dependable in the past) was too much to handle.  Paul and I worked for a week calling every contact we knew, a cousin who's a travel agent, a contact who knew a tour guide I had in Brazil on a trip 8 years ago, a variety of airlines, and many emails to and from the WYD registration coordinators.  We met with Msgr West and Bill Weldon (CFO of the Diocese) and with their help and some inspiration from the Holy Spirit the Diocese felt it was important we all still attend and they said 'If you can find the flights and transportation, make it happen; it's the moral thing to do and we're behind you 100 percent.'  The hand of God has been over this entire trip and I continue to know that the Lord has a special purpose for us traveling to Brazil with 2 million of our closest friends to be with the Vicar of Christ on earth.  I have had the extra-ordinary privilege of attending WYD in Toronto and Cologne (seeing both John Paul II - soon to be Saint, and Benedict XVI) - these experiences are the most profound vision of the Body of Christ that I've ever experienced.  When you are with that crowd of Catholics, no one can tell you that the Church is dead or that Christ is irrelevant.  He is alive and well in us, in our hearts, in the Catholic Church.  Attending World Youth Day invigorates my faith, seeing the Pope inspires me, and being with my Catholic brothers and sisters lifts me up!
- 4 - My friend Erica who was pregnant with twins


is now the proud mamma of twins!
Landon Patrick born 3:53 am at 6lbs 2oz. Ms. Riley Anne graced us with her presence at 4:42 am weighing in at 6lbs 3oz... over 12 lbs of baby! All three of us are doing well, pictures will follow later.
 I get to meet them this week!  I am so excited!  I've never really seen little baby twins before, not brand new!

- 5 - Kristen Lavensdatter was a book recommended to me by the priests at our parish.  The girls and I watch the movie a few weeks ago and were super confused!  If you know anything about this series (of three books), I would love some insights!  Father then said, "In short, a woman who forsakes virtues to 'follow her heart' must then face the consequences of such an act as it bred bitterness later on in her family.  It tracks her growth in wisdom and virtue as difficult as that is unto a life of genuine joy."  I think I will read the book and try to find that theme!

- 6 - Mary was the first Bachelor-ette - what?! A few months ago I listened to this homily about Saint Joseph and he discussed the Consignment of Twigs, and it's also in the Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew.  What happened was it was time for Mary to get married and the high priest called all of the eligible bachelors to the Temple and gave them each a twig.  They prayed over the twigs and the first one to blossom would be Mary's new husband - to guard and protect her.  Then Joseph's blossomed first!  Sound familiar to the Bachelor-ette yet?

- 7 - I leave next Sunday for Rio to attend World Youth Day!  Prayers would be appreciated for me and the pilgrims in our group: Brandon, Simeon, Evan, Steven, Daniel, Michael, Paul, Ana, Maria, Amy, Michelle, Rebekah, and Katie (me).  We return on Tuesday the 30th!

Head on over to Jen and friends for more quick takes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online Dating some time ago ( link ) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!

NAS: A Day in the Life

It's 2015 and Tuesday so that means that we are back at the Not Alone Series !  A huge thanks to Jen and Morgan for hosting and for helping all of us ladies gather together to remember that we aren't broken, we aren't alone, and we are loved by God. Let's get back in the swing by sharing what our typical day is like! Tell us however you like, minute by minute or a blurb about your day! Be sure to answer these questions:  - What is your favorite part of your day? - What is your least favorite part of your day? - Are you making any changes to your daily routine now that the new year has begun? Well my typical day use to be not so typical, but then I took a huge leap and got a new job that is a lot eaiser to have a routine that is pretty set.  I am someone who loves routine, I crave stability, and although I can make changes into my routine, they have to be determined by me to stick.  So a typical day? I set my alarm to go off at 6:46am, I get out o

NAS: Travel

How do you travel as a single lady?! Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Do you have anything fun planned for this year? Multiple times per week when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning I think about how boring my life is, how I never go anywhere. To be honest that is a complete and utter lie. I mean between July 2013 and March 2014, I hung out on four different continents - let along the time I spent traveling around the U.S. to Denver, New York City, Savannah, Orlando, and my parent's place. I'm the girl who bought a plane ticket to Africa and went into the bush all alone. (it's a great story ) Let me type that again - I went to the Congo, alone! I still can't even believe that I did that - it's the craziest thing ever ... but the most amazing experience of my life. So my off the cuff tips for traveling alone, they aren't super original, so be prepared to be underwhelmed! If you want to go somewhere, just do it - buy the ti