Skip to main content

The Sound that Pierces Through the NIght

Yesterday I flew into Charlotte on a 7am flight from Baltimore. It was the 3rd very early morning flight I took this week and I was so tired! So I get home, answer a few emails, make a few calls, and then lie down for a few hours to get some sleep since I was over exhausted. That's when it begins.

A loud, piercing beep! So I check every smoke detector in my house - of which there are 4 in my very small 1200 square foot house. Why so many? I'm really not sure, but apparently the builders of this house were very fire safety conscious.

Less than a year ago, I had replaced 3 of the batteries after a similar situation and thought that the green light indicated "good" so I went to all 4 and looked for the green light. The one I didn't replace last time, in my office with the highest ceiling, is the only one without a green light. So I check with my friend who was coming over already and her tall husband was coming over with her before we went out last night. He was coming so I was going to employ his height in my household need.

Now I get back to my plan to sleep for a bit. I lay down in the living room, but cannot get over the beeping. So I move upstairs to my bedroom, find some ear plugs, and take a nap. I endured the beeping until they arrived at 7pm and then the adventure began to end the beeping.

We found out the detector without the green light not only didn't have a battery, but wasn't connected to the system. All of the batteries were replaced but the beeping persisted. The only ended when we disconnected the one downstairs and removed the battery. So the beeping ended, but the system is now down a detector and hopefully not compromised... Hmm... I'm going to have to call the customer service department and see what can be done.

If you thought that's where this story ended, you would be wrong.

Around 3am, I woke up to use the bathroom and thought I heard a beeping noise. This is what I thought was happening:


I went downstairs to follow the beep and it was the CO detector ... my question is which insane person designed these systems to beep continuously until you do what it wants? Apparently there are some people in this world who can ignore the beeping - my friends who had a smoke detector beeping for almost a week before they replaced the batteries. I was there for less than 5 minutes before I started going crazy!

My other question is why can the batteries in my remote last for years and the smoke detector batteries less than a year and always die in the middle of the night?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online
Dating some time ago (link) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!




When Others Despise You

In general I appreciate when people like me, as I think most people do. For me, it's really hard when people dislike me, even if I don't have to be around them all of the time. I get anxious thinking about the next time we will be in the same location and if I'll be able to just kindly avoid them or if there will be an awkward confrontation. There's a line in scripture about how blessed we are when others despised us because they hated Him first. Him, being Jesus, of course.

But is that always the case? Am I applying a section of scripture to a situation to which it has no relationship? Am I using a passage of scripture to make myself feel better about the actions that I'm going to take, to justify it to myself and others? Am I manipulating the Lord's words to promote my own agenda in the name of the Lord?

I wonder this regarding many things. Passages like "The Lord will fulfill His promises" in relationship to my relationship status. Did He promise t…

Thoughts from A Color Run Volunteer

Well, we did it!  It's over and I'm back to my regular color.  All it took was some scrubbing in the shower and a big load of laundry!

So, how was it?  Well, we began looking like this:


and ended looking like this:


Yes - VERY pink!!!  It was awesome!

Now, the thoughts (play-by-play) of the day:

We began at 7am (actually an hour later than first expected).  When we arrived a few minutes early we went over to the Volunteer Registration tent (even though we were told to go to the color station first) and they were super disorganized.  Although they had a lot of volunteers, the check-in process was not amazing.  It's a place for some definite improvement on their part!  However, it was the first time in Charlotte and the only expectations were from the volunteer coordinators who hadn't experienced the run yet, so understandable.

We got to our PINK station - the first color station, where we were assigned and found out it was BLUE!  We were given instructions (only dip into…