Skip to main content

7 Quick Takes Friday, June 14th

For More Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

- 1 - It has been such a long week!  There was some drama on Monday - embodied in the following facebook post:




We found out there was an issue with our trip to Brazil and now we are gathering the information to assure that it happens.  It will hopefully work itself out, but I am not getting my hopes up too high. 

Then on Wednesday we started a 3 day trial at work - and by trial, I mean time of tribulation.  A decision that is better for the entire group, but will need to be worked through for the coming weeks.  There will be many consequences - almost all good.

- 2 - On a high note, this weekend is the 3rd annual SonFest at one of our local parishes.  I am so excited to see what they have going on tonight!



- 3 - I did something a little crazy on Tuesday night - after a conversation with one of our volunteers at work, I decided to just go for it and bought a ticket to Denver for the 4th of July weekend!  I cannot wait to see Elisabeth and visit and talk and get away and everything!  The last time I saw her I was living in Derry, PA - didn't have a job in North Carolina, didn't even know if I would move here, and she was in St. Marys - before moving back to Denver.  Now, 5 years later - we're going to be reunited again!!!

- 4 - What an amazing quote I just saw on the YouCat page on facebook:



The Devil is at work.  But I would like to say in a loud voice: God is stronger!  Do you believe this? That God is stronger?  Let's say it in a loud voice: God is stronger! Do you believe this?  That God is stronger? Let's say it together. God is stronger! All of us! And you know why He is stronger? Because He is the Lord, the only Lord. God is stronger! ~Pope Francis, June 12th, 2013
- 5 -  Oh, I just cannot get enough of Pope Francis ... like this picture:



I'm not sure who's throwing rosaries at the pope, but he's catching them!!!

He also told the school children that he lives in the Doma Santca Marta for his psychic health because he needs community.  He's not saying anything different than any other pope before, but the way he says it and the state of mind that I am in creates an environment where I'm really connecting with him and inspired to grow deeper in my faith because of his homilies.

Thank you Lord for this great birthday gift - remember when he was elected on my bday!

- 6 - Got together with the girls this week to celebrate MG's birthday!  Great times were had by all!  We tried a new restaurant that looked amazing and tasted as great!  We started at one restaurant, but the wait was going to 'be a while' after we had already waited an hour, so we went over to The Peculiar Rabbit and it was delicious.


We also had an excellent, pretty cute, waiter!  Thanks for a good meal Matt!

- 7 - What would some quick takes be without a comment about my man radio man Lino?!  I'm listening to a replay from Wednesday now while typing and he compared being a Catholic to being a Harley owner.  And I think I agree.  If you see a Harley owner/rider/driver, you know that they ride a bike.  There's no denying it: a different demeanor, dress, speech, food preference, etc...  Is it the same for us Catholics?  Do we dress, eat, act, speak, experience, etc... differently because we are Catholic?  I'm going with - nope! We are mostly the same as every other person in the world - there's no advantage to knowing, hiring, being a Catholic (which is actually a lie, but we don't live it - we don't live any differently than the rest of the world).  That was the theme of this article in our local paper as well, which I quoted on this blog a few weeks ago when it was on the NCRegister.


Check out Jen and the gang for some more quick takes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NAS: A Day in the Life

It's 2015 and Tuesday so that means that we are back at the Not Alone Series !  A huge thanks to Jen and Morgan for hosting and for helping all of us ladies gather together to remember that we aren't broken, we aren't alone, and we are loved by God. Let's get back in the swing by sharing what our typical day is like! Tell us however you like, minute by minute or a blurb about your day! Be sure to answer these questions:  - What is your favorite part of your day? - What is your least favorite part of your day? - Are you making any changes to your daily routine now that the new year has begun? Well my typical day use to be not so typical, but then I took a huge leap and got a new job that is a lot eaiser to have a routine that is pretty set.  I am someone who loves routine, I crave stability, and although I can make changes into my routine, they have to be determined by me to stick.  So a typical day? I set my alarm to go off at 6:46am, I get out o

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online Dating some time ago ( link ) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!

NAS: Travel

How do you travel as a single lady?! Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Do you have anything fun planned for this year? Multiple times per week when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning I think about how boring my life is, how I never go anywhere. To be honest that is a complete and utter lie. I mean between July 2013 and March 2014, I hung out on four different continents - let along the time I spent traveling around the U.S. to Denver, New York City, Savannah, Orlando, and my parent's place. I'm the girl who bought a plane ticket to Africa and went into the bush all alone. (it's a great story ) Let me type that again - I went to the Congo, alone! I still can't even believe that I did that - it's the craziest thing ever ... but the most amazing experience of my life. So my off the cuff tips for traveling alone, they aren't super original, so be prepared to be underwhelmed! If you want to go somewhere, just do it - buy the ti