Skip to main content

Vocations to the Priesthood

The other day I saw this photo from a friend on facebook:


And it got me thinking about the vocation crisis in our country - and what can be done.  It's also a follow-up to some thoughts I had about this article I found about a month ago.

This year there is one guy being ordained a deacon in the US, another in Italy  and a guy being ordained to the priesthood.  There is a serious issue!  We are doing something wrong, or something else not enough.  So I got to thinking about what can be done to bring more men into the priesthood.

The first issue is even bigger than the number of men in the seminary - it's that boys aren't even thinking about joining the priesthood.  In our diocese, teens were asked "have you ever considered a vocation to the priesthood or religious life?" and they responded overwhelmingly 'no' - 75% of youth.  This is an issue - our children aren't even considering this as a life decision!

So what can be done?  I think that simple fostering of children to know how joyful the priesthood is can make a huge difference.  Hence the photo above.  The boys were running around the Church during a Baptism - going into the Sanctuary.  So Father said, "boys, have a sit down - if you want to be in the sanctuary then you should think about being a priest."  He said they were super attentive - and OF COURSE, they were - this is a guy they see up front in funny/interesting clothes every day and he was talking directly to them!

Another thought I had was this: what if every parish sent one man to the seminary every year?  Or even every four years.  In our Diocese alone we would have 90 seminarians every year, or a total of 90 every 4 years.  What a huge impact that would make in the Catholic Church!

Then priests could teach in schools, work in social services, and in general have more time to meet with parishioners in need - as well as the many people who have fallen away from the parish and those who have never been Catholic.  We could make a serious effort in evangelization without even trying!!!  Especially in light of this article I read today!

Best quote:
My parents' generation left the Church without leaving the pews. And now they wonder why their kids find it silly to stand in the pews of a church they never really understood professing creeds they never really believed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online
Dating some time ago (link) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!




When Others Despise You

In general I appreciate when people like me, as I think most people do. For me, it's really hard when people dislike me, even if I don't have to be around them all of the time. I get anxious thinking about the next time we will be in the same location and if I'll be able to just kindly avoid them or if there will be an awkward confrontation. There's a line in scripture about how blessed we are when others despised us because they hated Him first. Him, being Jesus, of course.

But is that always the case? Am I applying a section of scripture to a situation to which it has no relationship? Am I using a passage of scripture to make myself feel better about the actions that I'm going to take, to justify it to myself and others? Am I manipulating the Lord's words to promote my own agenda in the name of the Lord?

I wonder this regarding many things. Passages like "The Lord will fulfill His promises" in relationship to my relationship status. Did He promise t…

(almost) Another Year Older

Today is the day before my 32nd birthday. Thirty-Two years alive in this world and I sit down to try to actively think about what I've done in the last year, what I've accomplished to keep my mind from being overwhelmed by what I haven't done: marriage and kids.

When I was a kid, it snowed every single year on my birthday until I moved to Charlotte almost 9 years ago. Now this year, well it's the day before, but in Charlotte that's close enough to count I wake up to the below. So many of my birthday parties were cancelled or changed when I was a kid because of a giant snowstorm.


But anyway, back to the things I've accomplished this past year. I became a godmother, again, to a young woman who came into the Church through RCIA with her father. At 17 she was baptized and confirmed at the Easter Vigil.I was promoted at work. Twice. I've been given the opportunity to develop a new product offering and am going to spend the next year implementing it at a parish ju…