Skip to main content

7 Quick Takes Friday, May 3rd


For More Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

- 1 - My life has become full and blogging has apparently taken a back seat.  Not a bad thing, except that the things that have been filling my life up include cleaning the bathroom and assuring the kitchen is looking good!  I really dislike the big cleaning jobs, I should really be better at the regular cleaning up.  I purchased a swiffer wet for this purpose, but am terrible at following up!  So, this week cleaning the apartment had to literally be put on the calendar and one major clean down: bathroom (and subsequently the bedroom was vacuumed)!

- 2 - How Cindy knows exactly what to write, I will never know.  But this week's post about Fantasy Relationships really hit home.  Last weekend I was with the teens on retreat and we were just having this conversation late Saturday night when we should have been sleeping.  They think they are in these amazing relationships with boys that have never actually asked them out - they just text when they're bored.  What kind of relationship is that?!  But seriously, who am I to talk (or write in this case)?!  We all do it ... singing this song as we walk along:


- 3 - We are going to the beach in just 7 days!  I am so excited to see the ocean, hear the waves, and sleep and read until my heart's content.  My parents are coming to visit and we are venturing to the beach for the weekend.  I cannot wait!

- 4 - I found out a couple of weeks ago that I am going to World Youth Day in Rio!  In just 81 days I'll be there enjoying the Lord, the beach, and 2 million or more of my closest Catholic friends that I haven't met yet!  The diocese needed an extra female chaperone and I sacrificially volunteered...as of yesterday we are officially registered, now just to get our Visas...tomorrow's project!

- 5 - Speaking of our retreat last weekend, I helped one of our core team members with his talk on Sacred Art, which was great by the way.  My contribution was singing the Regina Caeli and teaching it to the group gathered.  They did such a great job and I really learned a lot about Goudi's La Sagra Familia in Spain.  I believe it will need to be placed on my list of places to see before I die - it will be finished in 2028, so I'd better start saving my pennies!

- 6 - Our Kick Ball team was called on to be the refs for last night's game.  We've been doing really great and are actually the only team that is undefeated in the Thursday night league - unless you count the Dark Blue team that has deluded themselves into believing they won last week's game.  Next week we face off (although I won't be there, which really, is not a loss for my team, except in numbers).

- 7 - Saw this Catholic Meme this morning and got a little chuckle, so I share with you:





Thanks to a new blog I follow called Mary Is My Home Girl that is HILARIOUS!



Go check out Jen for more humorous and interesting Quick Takes this week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online
Dating some time ago (link) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!




When Others Despise You

In general I appreciate when people like me, as I think most people do. For me, it's really hard when people dislike me, even if I don't have to be around them all of the time. I get anxious thinking about the next time we will be in the same location and if I'll be able to just kindly avoid them or if there will be an awkward confrontation. There's a line in scripture about how blessed we are when others despised us because they hated Him first. Him, being Jesus, of course.

But is that always the case? Am I applying a section of scripture to a situation to which it has no relationship? Am I using a passage of scripture to make myself feel better about the actions that I'm going to take, to justify it to myself and others? Am I manipulating the Lord's words to promote my own agenda in the name of the Lord?

I wonder this regarding many things. Passages like "The Lord will fulfill His promises" in relationship to my relationship status. Did He promise t…

Thoughts from A Color Run Volunteer

Well, we did it!  It's over and I'm back to my regular color.  All it took was some scrubbing in the shower and a big load of laundry!

So, how was it?  Well, we began looking like this:


and ended looking like this:


Yes - VERY pink!!!  It was awesome!

Now, the thoughts (play-by-play) of the day:

We began at 7am (actually an hour later than first expected).  When we arrived a few minutes early we went over to the Volunteer Registration tent (even though we were told to go to the color station first) and they were super disorganized.  Although they had a lot of volunteers, the check-in process was not amazing.  It's a place for some definite improvement on their part!  However, it was the first time in Charlotte and the only expectations were from the volunteer coordinators who hadn't experienced the run yet, so understandable.

We got to our PINK station - the first color station, where we were assigned and found out it was BLUE!  We were given instructions (only dip into…