Skip to main content

Who's Your Biggest Cross? Is it you?

“Must you continue to be your own cross?” St. Jeanne de Chantal

The saints always have the most thought provoking wisdom.  So, Jeanne, let us consider - 'am I my own cross.'   Do I make things more difficult for myself by getting in my own way.  I remember that old story about the woman who thought her cross was too heavy and kept asking the Lord to give her a different cross.  So, He lead her into a room full of a million crosses.  He tells her to choose whichever she would prefer.  She looks around and sees all of these very heavy crosses.  She becomes more and more distressed the more she goes through the many rooms and sees bigger and bigger crosses.  Then, all of a sudden she comes across these perfectly sized one, picks it up, and tells the Lord, "yes, this is the one I'll take - it's definitely the perfect size for me, manageable to carry, and just the right size.'  And the Lord says to her, 'my daughter, that is the cross you entered with.'

Am I my own worst enemy?  Probably, yes.  I have such a hard time letting things go, allowing forgiveness to wash over me, and confronting my own character flaws.  Not only do I avoid confrontation with other people who have done things wrong, I avoid it with people who I have offended in some fashion, and in some ways, i avoid it with myself.  I'm not even good at confronting my own flaws - that are all fixable if I take enough time to appropriately fix them.

So this week - working on keeping my lips shut in times of trial instead of letting the words just shoot out of me like a gun without the safety.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online
Dating some time ago (link) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!




When Others Despise You

In general I appreciate when people like me, as I think most people do. For me, it's really hard when people dislike me, even if I don't have to be around them all of the time. I get anxious thinking about the next time we will be in the same location and if I'll be able to just kindly avoid them or if there will be an awkward confrontation. There's a line in scripture about how blessed we are when others despised us because they hated Him first. Him, being Jesus, of course.

But is that always the case? Am I applying a section of scripture to a situation to which it has no relationship? Am I using a passage of scripture to make myself feel better about the actions that I'm going to take, to justify it to myself and others? Am I manipulating the Lord's words to promote my own agenda in the name of the Lord?

I wonder this regarding many things. Passages like "The Lord will fulfill His promises" in relationship to my relationship status. Did He promise t…

Thoughts from A Color Run Volunteer

Well, we did it!  It's over and I'm back to my regular color.  All it took was some scrubbing in the shower and a big load of laundry!

So, how was it?  Well, we began looking like this:


and ended looking like this:


Yes - VERY pink!!!  It was awesome!

Now, the thoughts (play-by-play) of the day:

We began at 7am (actually an hour later than first expected).  When we arrived a few minutes early we went over to the Volunteer Registration tent (even though we were told to go to the color station first) and they were super disorganized.  Although they had a lot of volunteers, the check-in process was not amazing.  It's a place for some definite improvement on their part!  However, it was the first time in Charlotte and the only expectations were from the volunteer coordinators who hadn't experienced the run yet, so understandable.

We got to our PINK station - the first color station, where we were assigned and found out it was BLUE!  We were given instructions (only dip into…