Skip to main content

The Day I saw Papa Francis!

Well today we saw the Pope! We were at the front of the gate and couldn't believe how blessed we were. After we took the bus we were walking to the avenue near the beach since the bus dropped us at Ipanema. We walked for about 10 or 15 minutes and got a spot near a few women who were seated next to the gate. They let us hang out with them until the pope arrived about 90 minutes later.

As the pope crossed our path we were all screaming and shouting Papa Francis with the other 1.5 million people on the beach with us. 

It was amazing, all we wanted to do was see the pope today. We were prepared to be disappointed but once we found the place near the gate and we were in the front we knew it would be amazing. 

From the beach you can see the naval security detail they have right off the beach to protect the pope. There were many helicopters flying over and we heard on the radio that Pope Francis was circling the beach and going to land at the Copacabana Fort which was just a few blocks from us. We got really excited when we saw it land. At first we could see the pope mobile coming out of the fort then all of a sudden he was in front of us. It was like a dream. 


There's a video too! Links coming later!

After he passed by we gathered ourselves and walked toward the ceremony since we were still 3.5 km away and could only see the sea of people and many jumbo screens. A few of us had radios with the English Translation so we were able to tell the others what was happening.

Francis greeted us and then was greeted by every continent and area of brazil. 10 young people spoke on behalf of their area of the world and gave the pope a gift. They each had about a minute of time with the Holy Father where he spoke to them alone (no microphone for us to hear).

To have a minute with just the pope and I?! 

Following the ceremony part we had a Liturgy of the Word and another speech by him for a homily. He began by speaking to us about the flavor of salt. How we put it on our food to enhance the flavor and change it. He said "Put on Faith, Hope, and Love and your life with have a new flavor. Put on Christ and everything will change."  (The entire thing can be found at rio2013.com or news.va/en)

For the remainder of the evening we met many groups from around the world; a bunch from the US as well as we waited for the bus to take is home. I even saw a group from Pittsburgh!

Overall my heart is full! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online Dating some time ago ( link ) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!

NAS: A Day in the Life

It's 2015 and Tuesday so that means that we are back at the Not Alone Series !  A huge thanks to Jen and Morgan for hosting and for helping all of us ladies gather together to remember that we aren't broken, we aren't alone, and we are loved by God. Let's get back in the swing by sharing what our typical day is like! Tell us however you like, minute by minute or a blurb about your day! Be sure to answer these questions:  - What is your favorite part of your day? - What is your least favorite part of your day? - Are you making any changes to your daily routine now that the new year has begun? Well my typical day use to be not so typical, but then I took a huge leap and got a new job that is a lot eaiser to have a routine that is pretty set.  I am someone who loves routine, I crave stability, and although I can make changes into my routine, they have to be determined by me to stick.  So a typical day? I set my alarm to go off at 6:46am, I get out o

NAS: Travel

How do you travel as a single lady?! Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Do you have anything fun planned for this year? Multiple times per week when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning I think about how boring my life is, how I never go anywhere. To be honest that is a complete and utter lie. I mean between July 2013 and March 2014, I hung out on four different continents - let along the time I spent traveling around the U.S. to Denver, New York City, Savannah, Orlando, and my parent's place. I'm the girl who bought a plane ticket to Africa and went into the bush all alone. (it's a great story ) Let me type that again - I went to the Congo, alone! I still can't even believe that I did that - it's the craziest thing ever ... but the most amazing experience of my life. So my off the cuff tips for traveling alone, they aren't super original, so be prepared to be underwhelmed! If you want to go somewhere, just do it - buy the ti