Skip to main content

7 Quick Takes Friday ... March 6th



Last weekend I did a little decorating - putting up some pictures downstairs in the living room and finally hanging the amazing Congo map MG got me for Christmas. Another Wall full of a story!


The adjacent wall has a bigger story too, if I haven't shared it with you before...


All photos and things from my trip to the Congo. The frame in the bottom right now has a photo in it as well. The fabric in the upper left is a dress that they purchased for me that will be admired more on the wall than in my closet!

I also put these curtains and frames up in the guest bedroom - which makes me SO happy whenever I walk up stairs. That side of the house looks so put together!


A happy place, rather than a drab place, for guests to hang out in while they stay.


An interesting quote from Matt Walsh I found the other day about when he and his wife finally walked into a building they didn't know what was inside. It was a new Mega-Church - reminds me of Elevation here in Charlotte.
"Eventually, our curiosity got the best of us and we went in to investigate. The thing is, even when I was inside, it took me five minutes to figure out that it was a church. All traces of anything sacred, ancient, traditional, or reverent had been stripped away. What was left was something that plenty of people clearly found appealing, but it didn’t look Christian, or sound Christian, or feel Christian. It didn’t go to any great lengths to identify itself as a church, and that’s all for the best, I suppose. After all, there was nothing about it — aesthetically or substantively — that resembled one." source
Hmm... reminds me of what people say whenever we are building new churches ... so many people want it just to be plain and simple so we don't waste money on all of those 'frivilous things' like statues, paintings, chalices, etc...

They are necessary - primarily because they are beautiful. They need no other reason to be there.


A great quote from a great Katherine saint this week:
God's will--peacefully do at each moment what at that moment ought to be done.
- Saint Katharine Drexel (1858-1955), Feast day March 3


I saw this in an article earlier this week and thing it speaks well of the situation at hand in the Church.
We have eliminated almost every strenuous practice of self-denial from the common life of the Church. All we say is that if you are chewing gum during Mass, please to move it to the left side of your jaws so as to clear a space on the right to receive the Lord at Communion.
No ascetic life, no hierarchy, no brotherhood, no risk, no battle – no priests. And then there are the supernatural concerns, about which I will have more to say next time.
Read the whole article on LifeSiteNews.com here. Would love to hear your thoughts.


After reading the above article, I read a bunch more of Anthony Esolen and am very interested in reading more of his work. It makes me think a lot about the fall of masculinity in our current culture and about how we seem to be offended by the fact that men and women are different. It's okay that we're different, it's even great that we are. Different doesn't mean bad, it just means different. 


Killed some time last Sunday afternoon between a baby shower and Mass in the rain by going to Lowes Home Improvement to get two things: air filters since it's time to change mine at the house and a de-clogging tool that looks like a yellow stick with lots of thorns. Didn't think much of it, but because I have MyLowes (which is SUPER useful if you have a house because I couldn't remember which filters I purchased last time and it was right there on the internet on my phone!) today I get an email with this ... suggestions for me for future purchase


My house requires 20x14x1 filters - so I purchased them - in this brand. Now if MyLowes was SMART, then it would have recommended a different brand to me, causing me to spend a few more bucks - these are literally the 2nd cheapest ones you can purchase. BUT no, in order to get NO more of my business in this area, they are recommending I purchase filters that are the wrong size ... I purchase these all I do is waste money or return them. No one wins here Lowes, no one!


This week's Latin & Me post is about music, the hardest one to write since it's such a point of contention around these parts and all parts of the Church. Check it out, if you're interested ... no pressure, of course!

For more Quickity, Quick Takes, check out the gang with Kelly over at This Ain't the Lyceum!
See you next week, or stop by this week for more musings and antics!

Comments

  1. First of all that guest bedroom looks so lovely!! Secondly, that Matt Walsh quote is so good and so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! and the matt walsh quote makes me ponder every time i read it!!!

      Delete
  2. Funny thing -- we just found one of those yellow spikey drain cleaner thingies at the hardware store, too. It's on my husband's honey-do list today to see if it works. :) From the ridiculous to the sublime, though: your thoughts on tradition and beauty are deep and important. I'm a trad -- we feel these things very strongly, indeed. Encouraged that perhaps more Catholics are seeing what we've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if it works out well, pass along your secrets! Thanks so much for the encouragement with the traditional. It's been a wonderful journey.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online Dating some time ago ( link ) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!

NAS: A Day in the Life

It's 2015 and Tuesday so that means that we are back at the Not Alone Series !  A huge thanks to Jen and Morgan for hosting and for helping all of us ladies gather together to remember that we aren't broken, we aren't alone, and we are loved by God. Let's get back in the swing by sharing what our typical day is like! Tell us however you like, minute by minute or a blurb about your day! Be sure to answer these questions:  - What is your favorite part of your day? - What is your least favorite part of your day? - Are you making any changes to your daily routine now that the new year has begun? Well my typical day use to be not so typical, but then I took a huge leap and got a new job that is a lot eaiser to have a routine that is pretty set.  I am someone who loves routine, I crave stability, and although I can make changes into my routine, they have to be determined by me to stick.  So a typical day? I set my alarm to go off at 6:46am, I get out o

Small Changes Have a Dramatic Effect

The last time I was at the doctor I was talking about my health, which was great, and I mentioned that I wanted to make some changes to be healthier (read: smaller). I prefaced my question with something that I know to do which is to lose weight: exercise more and eat less. Dr. W confirmed it is really all about math - more calories out than in. Her advice wasn't just "eat less, exercise more." It was actually more helpful, take the next year and make a different lifestyle change every month and in a year your life will be different. I really took that to heart and when I got home, I made a list of 12 habits or lifestyle changes that I wanted to undertake. I gave myself credit for a few that I had started a while ago that were great changes that I felt made a huge difference. At the end of the year I will probably have made about 7 or 8 overall changes but some of them were steps to bigger things. They are small steps that have made a huge difference in my life. I'v