Skip to main content

7 Quick Takes ... October 4th



The last time I linked up I was heading to Pennsylvania for my grandmother's 90th Birthday party.  Check out this super cute family picture from the event!


and one of gram, the siblings, and me!

Grandma, the Siblings, and Me


When we were home, we celebrated Amy's Birthday!  Of course, a cake was in order!

Amy's Birthday (9/20)
Nate's Birthday (8/31)
This couple seems to have a similar "lighted candle, cake, birthday" face!  I'm glad I was able to spend time with both of them on their birthdays - seems like this is pretty unlikely to ever happen again.


I also had a chance to see Matt Maher at the fundraising dinner for the Pregnancy Resource Center here in Charlotte.

He gave a great concert!
a beautiful girl's night!


When I was in New York, Nate, Amy, and I tried a roasted beet salad which was delicious (I thought I disliked beets, but I was proven wrong with this side dish).  SO, when I was home, my dad offered me beets to take home, so I took advantage.  He harvested them for me on Sunday right before I left, and on Sunday I decided to roast some up and got these two amazing dishes!

Roasted Beets on Spinach with Honey Goat Cheese &
Balsamic Drizzle 
Roasted Red Beet hummus with Roasted Garlic,
chickpeas of course, - and planning to have it with
Pumpkin Seed Corn Chips


I know a lot of people have a love/hate relationship with Pinterest, but I really love it.  Awhile ago, I listened to a podcast from Stuff Mom Never Told You about Pinterest and why the guys (yes, two men) who designed it did it the way they did.  Since then, I've loved it even more.  For me, it's an interactive bookmarking system for the internet that I can figure out what I wanted to make for dinner from pictures or searching keywords online.  I don't know how to search bookmarks the same way - if you do, let me know!  Anyway, searching for some roasted beet recipes, I noticed all of the great stuff on my "YUM ... new recipes to make" board that I don't remember pinning, but look amazing!  I'm looking forward to trying out some of these great things this Fall!


check it out - and follow along!


A couple of weeks ago I started making myself a scarf (after I made Shep's bday present - check back next Saturday for some great pics of that).  BUT it was a little long, so it has turned into a blanket.


Okay well it's not a blanket it - BUT I am well on my way to a new blanket!  Check back in 6 months to 6 years for a beautiful blanket!


Also just discovered a site that does this on my Crafty Styles board from Pinterest.  Pretty cool water color feature!

Africa
Super fun, but definitely looks best when there's a lot of water in the frame!

New York looks pretty cool!

For more Quick Takes, visit Jen and the gang at Conversion Diary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NAS: A Day in the Life

It's 2015 and Tuesday so that means that we are back at the Not Alone Series !  A huge thanks to Jen and Morgan for hosting and for helping all of us ladies gather together to remember that we aren't broken, we aren't alone, and we are loved by God. Let's get back in the swing by sharing what our typical day is like! Tell us however you like, minute by minute or a blurb about your day! Be sure to answer these questions:  - What is your favorite part of your day? - What is your least favorite part of your day? - Are you making any changes to your daily routine now that the new year has begun? Well my typical day use to be not so typical, but then I took a huge leap and got a new job that is a lot eaiser to have a routine that is pretty set.  I am someone who loves routine, I crave stability, and although I can make changes into my routine, they have to be determined by me to stick.  So a typical day? I set my alarm to go off at 6:46am, I get out o

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online Dating some time ago ( link ) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!

NAS: Travel

How do you travel as a single lady?! Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Do you have anything fun planned for this year? Multiple times per week when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning I think about how boring my life is, how I never go anywhere. To be honest that is a complete and utter lie. I mean between July 2013 and March 2014, I hung out on four different continents - let along the time I spent traveling around the U.S. to Denver, New York City, Savannah, Orlando, and my parent's place. I'm the girl who bought a plane ticket to Africa and went into the bush all alone. (it's a great story ) Let me type that again - I went to the Congo, alone! I still can't even believe that I did that - it's the craziest thing ever ... but the most amazing experience of my life. So my off the cuff tips for traveling alone, they aren't super original, so be prepared to be underwhelmed! If you want to go somewhere, just do it - buy the ti