Skip to main content

'The Hunger Games' Book & Movie Review



I've been hearing about The Hunger Games for a while now - and I'm definitely not the first nor the last to jump on the bandwagon.  After hearing all of my middle schoolers talk about how they went to see it as a class field trip I felt compelled to read it.  At the very least I wanted to know the references when they said something about it.  So I borrowed the first book from one of the ym families and read it in one day!

I loved the story - was captured by Katniss and her narration of the story.  She's detached from her emotions, has no idea how to really love, and is so confused about the direction of her life.  One of the most interesting things is how much hatred she has for The Capitol and how they want to put the Districts in their place. She is so fearful of being chosen in the reaping that she's decided she will never have children.  The Capitol will never control her future.

Katniss & Gale - the closest thing she has ever experienced to love, but even that, she doesn't really know how to love him ... or anyone else either!

Although the world we live in is nothing like that - our government does not require the sacrifice of our children - we do have some serious issues.  But I digress...  Back to the story.

What is Effie wearing? I think we should definitely add flowers to our hair accessories, but maybe not so big.

One of the hard to grasp issues with the book is the intentional killing - really murdering of each other.  They have to defend themselves in order to survive.  Either defend or die.  Even though each of tributes (except the careers, of course) would never kill a human in their regular lives - put into the arena, things change.  Their motivation to survive trumps everything.

When the time comes, they all acquire the ability to kill.

The concept of killing each other is where my reservations occurred.  Is this something we want to promote among our youth?  I thought I would have a better understanding after I saw the movie - but honestly, I still don't know.  I'm not sure whether it inspires rebellion and violence or not.



To review the book verses the movie - of course the book was better.  Like ALWAYS - except one time!  The Jane Austen Book Club - the movie was fantastic and the book not so much - way to dark.  The advantage of the movie over the book was twofold.  First, the book was from Katniss' perspective and so we didn't get to see what happened back home while she was in the game or how the Gamemakers were creating the problems in the arena.  Second, it was so cool seeing how they portrayed The Capitol.  The crazy outfits they wore, the futuristic home decor, and the technology that they had invented.

The Fashion! Oh M!

So my conclusion is to read the book, love it, find it complete - and then see the movie to take in the amazing visuals that we can't even imagine!!!

I imagined things to be more primitive rather than more extravagant!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online
Dating some time ago (link) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!




When Others Despise You

In general I appreciate when people like me, as I think most people do. For me, it's really hard when people dislike me, even if I don't have to be around them all of the time. I get anxious thinking about the next time we will be in the same location and if I'll be able to just kindly avoid them or if there will be an awkward confrontation. There's a line in scripture about how blessed we are when others despised us because they hated Him first. Him, being Jesus, of course.

But is that always the case? Am I applying a section of scripture to a situation to which it has no relationship? Am I using a passage of scripture to make myself feel better about the actions that I'm going to take, to justify it to myself and others? Am I manipulating the Lord's words to promote my own agenda in the name of the Lord?

I wonder this regarding many things. Passages like "The Lord will fulfill His promises" in relationship to my relationship status. Did He promise t…

Thoughts from A Color Run Volunteer

Well, we did it!  It's over and I'm back to my regular color.  All it took was some scrubbing in the shower and a big load of laundry!

So, how was it?  Well, we began looking like this:


and ended looking like this:


Yes - VERY pink!!!  It was awesome!

Now, the thoughts (play-by-play) of the day:

We began at 7am (actually an hour later than first expected).  When we arrived a few minutes early we went over to the Volunteer Registration tent (even though we were told to go to the color station first) and they were super disorganized.  Although they had a lot of volunteers, the check-in process was not amazing.  It's a place for some definite improvement on their part!  However, it was the first time in Charlotte and the only expectations were from the volunteer coordinators who hadn't experienced the run yet, so understandable.

We got to our PINK station - the first color station, where we were assigned and found out it was BLUE!  We were given instructions (only dip into…