Skip to main content

'The Hunger Games' Book & Movie Review



I've been hearing about The Hunger Games for a while now - and I'm definitely not the first nor the last to jump on the bandwagon.  After hearing all of my middle schoolers talk about how they went to see it as a class field trip I felt compelled to read it.  At the very least I wanted to know the references when they said something about it.  So I borrowed the first book from one of the ym families and read it in one day!

I loved the story - was captured by Katniss and her narration of the story.  She's detached from her emotions, has no idea how to really love, and is so confused about the direction of her life.  One of the most interesting things is how much hatred she has for The Capitol and how they want to put the Districts in their place. She is so fearful of being chosen in the reaping that she's decided she will never have children.  The Capitol will never control her future.

Katniss & Gale - the closest thing she has ever experienced to love, but even that, she doesn't really know how to love him ... or anyone else either!

Although the world we live in is nothing like that - our government does not require the sacrifice of our children - we do have some serious issues.  But I digress...  Back to the story.

What is Effie wearing? I think we should definitely add flowers to our hair accessories, but maybe not so big.

One of the hard to grasp issues with the book is the intentional killing - really murdering of each other.  They have to defend themselves in order to survive.  Either defend or die.  Even though each of tributes (except the careers, of course) would never kill a human in their regular lives - put into the arena, things change.  Their motivation to survive trumps everything.

When the time comes, they all acquire the ability to kill.

The concept of killing each other is where my reservations occurred.  Is this something we want to promote among our youth?  I thought I would have a better understanding after I saw the movie - but honestly, I still don't know.  I'm not sure whether it inspires rebellion and violence or not.



To review the book verses the movie - of course the book was better.  Like ALWAYS - except one time!  The Jane Austen Book Club - the movie was fantastic and the book not so much - way to dark.  The advantage of the movie over the book was twofold.  First, the book was from Katniss' perspective and so we didn't get to see what happened back home while she was in the game or how the Gamemakers were creating the problems in the arena.  Second, it was so cool seeing how they portrayed The Capitol.  The crazy outfits they wore, the futuristic home decor, and the technology that they had invented.

The Fashion! Oh M!

So my conclusion is to read the book, love it, find it complete - and then see the movie to take in the amazing visuals that we can't even imagine!!!

I imagined things to be more primitive rather than more extravagant!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online Dating some time ago ( link ) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!

NAS: A Day in the Life

It's 2015 and Tuesday so that means that we are back at the Not Alone Series !  A huge thanks to Jen and Morgan for hosting and for helping all of us ladies gather together to remember that we aren't broken, we aren't alone, and we are loved by God. Let's get back in the swing by sharing what our typical day is like! Tell us however you like, minute by minute or a blurb about your day! Be sure to answer these questions:  - What is your favorite part of your day? - What is your least favorite part of your day? - Are you making any changes to your daily routine now that the new year has begun? Well my typical day use to be not so typical, but then I took a huge leap and got a new job that is a lot eaiser to have a routine that is pretty set.  I am someone who loves routine, I crave stability, and although I can make changes into my routine, they have to be determined by me to stick.  So a typical day? I set my alarm to go off at 6:46am, I get out o

NAS: Travel

How do you travel as a single lady?! Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Do you have anything fun planned for this year? Multiple times per week when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning I think about how boring my life is, how I never go anywhere. To be honest that is a complete and utter lie. I mean between July 2013 and March 2014, I hung out on four different continents - let along the time I spent traveling around the U.S. to Denver, New York City, Savannah, Orlando, and my parent's place. I'm the girl who bought a plane ticket to Africa and went into the bush all alone. (it's a great story ) Let me type that again - I went to the Congo, alone! I still can't even believe that I did that - it's the craziest thing ever ... but the most amazing experience of my life. So my off the cuff tips for traveling alone, they aren't super original, so be prepared to be underwhelmed! If you want to go somewhere, just do it - buy the ti