Skip to main content

7 Quick Takes Friday, March 15th: Papal Edition


HABEMUS PAPAM!

We Have A Pope!

1 - Quick Takes a little late this week!  Was away last weekend and SO busy celebrating my birthday this week things got a little delayed, but I'm back to blogging - I'm sure you've been on the edge of your seats waiting, waiting, waiting for me...well, probably not!  This week, 7 AWESOME things about our new pope! I'm sure there are better and more exciting things else where, but this is my take on my birthday present!

2 - That's right, people!  I got a POPE for my birthday!  That doesn't happen every year or to every one!  Only one other time in this century!  I join a small group of people who were born on April 19th!  It was so funny because when we had pizza and cake at work, we were singing then doing the obligatory blowing out of the candles when I said, I wish for a Pope today!  I'd been following closely of course - listening to my celebrity crush, Lino Rulli, along with Father Dave on their special show Holy Smokes: The Road to the Papacy.  It had been an awesome week of coverage so far!  Our Deacon said the black smoke had already gone up, but I was like - um, NO - Lino didn't announce that yet!  Then after pizza, Father was in his office and telling us in disbelief that there was in fact white smoke!  WHITE SMOKE, people!!!  We have a Pope!  So many of us gathered in my office to watch FoxNews on my computer, listen to Lino & Father Dave on my phone, and watch CNN's feed of Vatican Television on another co-workers phone to await the announcement.  We heard him announced and were so excited - we were reading and reading as much as we could after the Cardinal Deacon came out with "Habemus Papam" until Francis came onto the balcony.  

3 - Since then, I've been reading as much as I can about this man and am truly in love!  I joked that I should have wished for a husband if my wishes were that powerful (just 25 minutes later and it came true!) - but the Lord knew what He was doing (as always) and gave me another man to fall in love with.  Pope Francis will be a true inspiration for me (and I hope the 1.2 Billion Catholics in the world).  So I'm going to share a few of the moments I've seen that have really touched me!

4 - First that he is such a simple man who went to pray on Thursday morning before stopping to get his bags and pay his bill.  I was listening to Vatican Radio last night and he even greeted all of the workers at Domus Internationalis Paulus VI when he went to collect his luggage and pay his bill.  He stays there whenever he is Rome and even greeted all of the workers, asking of their spouses and children.  He remembers them!

5 - Yesterday I saw this video when he greeted the Cardinals - and it just shows that he sees them as brothers in Christ - they are his friends.



6 - Today I saw this video of his meeting with the 6,000+ media professionals who had been covering the Conclave and more.  He's so loveable and easy going - like a true PAPA - daddy to the Catholics of the world.



* favorite line * 'when it got dangerous'!

7 - And a quote from his time with the Cardinals on Friday regarding Spiritual Warfare that still sits with me:
Let us never give in to pessimism, to that bitterness that the devil tempts us with every day.  Let us not give into pessimism and let us not be discouraged.  ~Pope Francis
He sees the world as it is - he's been to hell on earth in the Favellas of Argentina.  He sees the need for the poor so much that he chose Francis (as explained in the video for #6).  He wants us to be a poor Church that serves the poor.  As Mother Teresa has said, "Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat."  We are all the poor - in different ways - and are being called to live a simple live devoted to God.  I think that Papa Francis is going to teach us how to love one another with true devotion and in turn how to love our God.  I am so excited and eager to see what the next weeks, months, years, and maybe decades holds with this man.


Check out Jen for more great quick takes!

Comments

  1. How cool to get a Pope for your birthday! I just love Pope Francis so much already :)

    PS I'm a Youth Minister too, and can totally relate with you on that with the patience thing ;-)Found you from Jen's link-up...God bless:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NAS: A Day in the Life

It's 2015 and Tuesday so that means that we are back at the Not Alone Series !  A huge thanks to Jen and Morgan for hosting and for helping all of us ladies gather together to remember that we aren't broken, we aren't alone, and we are loved by God. Let's get back in the swing by sharing what our typical day is like! Tell us however you like, minute by minute or a blurb about your day! Be sure to answer these questions:  - What is your favorite part of your day? - What is your least favorite part of your day? - Are you making any changes to your daily routine now that the new year has begun? Well my typical day use to be not so typical, but then I took a huge leap and got a new job that is a lot eaiser to have a routine that is pretty set.  I am someone who loves routine, I crave stability, and although I can make changes into my routine, they have to be determined by me to stick.  So a typical day? I set my alarm to go off at 6:46am, I get out o

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online Dating some time ago ( link ) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!

NAS: Travel

How do you travel as a single lady?! Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Do you have anything fun planned for this year? Multiple times per week when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning I think about how boring my life is, how I never go anywhere. To be honest that is a complete and utter lie. I mean between July 2013 and March 2014, I hung out on four different continents - let along the time I spent traveling around the U.S. to Denver, New York City, Savannah, Orlando, and my parent's place. I'm the girl who bought a plane ticket to Africa and went into the bush all alone. (it's a great story ) Let me type that again - I went to the Congo, alone! I still can't even believe that I did that - it's the craziest thing ever ... but the most amazing experience of my life. So my off the cuff tips for traveling alone, they aren't super original, so be prepared to be underwhelmed! If you want to go somewhere, just do it - buy the ti