Skip to main content

Control ... I Want It!

I've been thinking a lot about control lately. How much I want to have it in conjunction with how few things are actually in my control. I don't know about you, but this is a huge point of contention for me in prayer. I want certain things in my life, I don't want to have to wait another 10 years or even 5 years to be married and have a family. I wrote about this a few weeks ago when I was trying to love my crazy life rather than fight against myself (check it out).

It's come up even more this week though with work and life and Lent. That's really the sticking point for me now. Lent 2016.

There are so many things I cannot control in my life. My metabolism, my family, friends, boys, my parish, plus a million and one other things. So I'm trying to discipline the things that I do have control over so I can more easily embrace the things I don't have control over.
  1. I can control what I put into my body and whether I exercise every day or not. I can do something about my health and about my attitude concerning health. This is going well ... I just need to keep my perspective.
  2. I can control whether I practice the piano every day - not whether I am naturally talented or not. I get so much joy from playing the piano - I can't believe I let it sit there in my living room collecting dust. Well, no longer!
  3. I can control whether I schedule Daily Mass into my calendar or not. Although life does get busy - and sometimes my day over takes me, I don't work in an emergency room whether things are life and death - I can take an hour to drive to Mass, be with Jesus, and drive home - and still eat lunch.
  4. I can control my attitude regarding my single state in life. I cannot control whether this boy wants to date me or that one wants to just talk on the phone or this one wants whatever... I can check my attitude and give it over to the Lord and ask him to "Let me what what He wants for me."
  5. I can control how I interact and relate to my family. I cannot control whether they speak to one another or not. I cannot fight their battles for them, but I can offer it up in prayer and ask the Holy Family to make my family holy.
  6. I can control whether I do a phone block every day to follow up on incoming leads and new prospects. I can control whether I follow up with customers and do what I say I will do. I cannot control whether they buy from me. I can improve my selling skills - I cannot force people to buy from me.
  7. I can control my attitude, my responses, my reactions, and my actions. I cannot control my feelings, other people's reactions or actions. 
** update ** as I'm reading past blog posts, past Katie wrote about this before... will she ever learn to trust her Guardian Angel? (Oct 2014) **

All of the things I cannot control I need to let go. I need to give up to the Lord - the only being who has this whole world in his mind all of the time. I can only do what I can do - and that is all I can do. I cannot control the world.

That's a hard statement for this Type A perfectionist to wrap her mind around, but I'm doing it one small discipline at a time this Lent and hopefully will be closer to the Lord because of it by Easter.

After typing, realizing there are 7 things I can control - so linking up with all the bloggers here.

Comments

  1. Amen! Control is the ultimate battle we have with God, isn't it? I feel like it's a tug of war sometimes. But when you realize that life is better how God's planned it, there's the moment of relief. We don't have to fight it. It SO much easier said than done though. Like seriously. I like how you point out our responsibility, and how we CAN make little changes. These are such great things to work on! Thanks for pointing these out, because I know I could work on them too. Hope your Lent is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura!! Control is such a tough target for me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online Dating some time ago ( link ) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!

NAS: A Day in the Life

It's 2015 and Tuesday so that means that we are back at the Not Alone Series !  A huge thanks to Jen and Morgan for hosting and for helping all of us ladies gather together to remember that we aren't broken, we aren't alone, and we are loved by God. Let's get back in the swing by sharing what our typical day is like! Tell us however you like, minute by minute or a blurb about your day! Be sure to answer these questions:  - What is your favorite part of your day? - What is your least favorite part of your day? - Are you making any changes to your daily routine now that the new year has begun? Well my typical day use to be not so typical, but then I took a huge leap and got a new job that is a lot eaiser to have a routine that is pretty set.  I am someone who loves routine, I crave stability, and although I can make changes into my routine, they have to be determined by me to stick.  So a typical day? I set my alarm to go off at 6:46am, I get out o

NAS: Travel

How do you travel as a single lady?! Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Do you have anything fun planned for this year? Multiple times per week when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning I think about how boring my life is, how I never go anywhere. To be honest that is a complete and utter lie. I mean between July 2013 and March 2014, I hung out on four different continents - let along the time I spent traveling around the U.S. to Denver, New York City, Savannah, Orlando, and my parent's place. I'm the girl who bought a plane ticket to Africa and went into the bush all alone. (it's a great story ) Let me type that again - I went to the Congo, alone! I still can't even believe that I did that - it's the craziest thing ever ... but the most amazing experience of my life. So my off the cuff tips for traveling alone, they aren't super original, so be prepared to be underwhelmed! If you want to go somewhere, just do it - buy the ti