Skip to main content

Roasted Carrot Soup

Since Thanksgiving, I've either had company at my house, been celebrating a holiday, or traveling for work 35 days (out of 50). My eating habits (although not my exercise habits since I've been doing Daily Burn 365 every day - try it out) have been awful! On the way home from Myrtle Beach today (for work, not for pleasure - and it was freezing there! ... but the view from my room was excellent) ...


... I decided I needed to work on eating more vegetables. I need to fuel my body better if I want to be healthier and more fit. So I stopped at the grocery store to get some veggies and set out for a healthy dinner. What'd I make?

Roasted Carrot Soup


2 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths and quartered
1 jalapeno, minus the seed, cut in half
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 medium red onion, diced
1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger (from about 1/2-inch piece, peeled)
2-3 cups homemade or low-salt chicken broth
3 large spoonfuls of greek yogurt
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. ground white pepper
Chopped fresh green onions for garnishing

Heat the oven to 375°F.

Put the carrots in a medium baking dish or cookie sheet (11x7-inch is a good size, or any dish that will hold the carrots in a single layer without touching) and drizzle them with the olive oil. Toss them to coat well, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and roast about 40 minutes to 1 hour.

Melt the butter in a medium (at least 3-quart) heavy saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it’s translucent and fragrant, 2 to 3 min. Stir in the ginger and cook the onions start to brown, 4 to 5 min. Add the roasted carrots, jalapeno, chicken broth, no more than 2 cups of water, depending on how thick you want your soup. I like mine really thick so I didn't add any. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, and cook about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the jalapeno if you just want medium heat.

Purée the soup in a food processor added in the greek yogurt once it is to your preference of thickness. If serving immediately, return the soup to the pot and reheat; garnish with the green onions.

Enjoy!

This made two servings for me since I ate it as a meal, rather than a starter. That's an entire pound of carrots for dinner! Lots of veggies and my eyes will be better at night vision, too!

Happy Traveling - and hopefully Happy Eating! I'm home for six nights ... enough time to make for a good habit! I've got to start ordering salads when I'm away...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NAS: A Day in the Life

It's 2015 and Tuesday so that means that we are back at the Not Alone Series !  A huge thanks to Jen and Morgan for hosting and for helping all of us ladies gather together to remember that we aren't broken, we aren't alone, and we are loved by God. Let's get back in the swing by sharing what our typical day is like! Tell us however you like, minute by minute or a blurb about your day! Be sure to answer these questions:  - What is your favorite part of your day? - What is your least favorite part of your day? - Are you making any changes to your daily routine now that the new year has begun? Well my typical day use to be not so typical, but then I took a huge leap and got a new job that is a lot eaiser to have a routine that is pretty set.  I am someone who loves routine, I crave stability, and although I can make changes into my routine, they have to be determined by me to stick.  So a typical day? I set my alarm to go off at 6:46am, I get out o

I Look Into my Inbox and What Did I See?

I receive the weekly notes from the Catholic Match Institute since my unsuccessful dabble in Online Dating some time ago ( link ) and today's included the face of one of my favorite priests. A man who helped me become the Catholic woman, for better or worse, that I am today. He is doing a series of five videos for CM through Advent. The first two are below ... I encourage you to watch them and stay tuned for the next three! Fr. Ananias, OSB - what an Advent treat!

NAS: Travel

How do you travel as a single lady?! Any tips or tricks you'd like to share? Do you have anything fun planned for this year? Multiple times per week when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning I think about how boring my life is, how I never go anywhere. To be honest that is a complete and utter lie. I mean between July 2013 and March 2014, I hung out on four different continents - let along the time I spent traveling around the U.S. to Denver, New York City, Savannah, Orlando, and my parent's place. I'm the girl who bought a plane ticket to Africa and went into the bush all alone. (it's a great story ) Let me type that again - I went to the Congo, alone! I still can't even believe that I did that - it's the craziest thing ever ... but the most amazing experience of my life. So my off the cuff tips for traveling alone, they aren't super original, so be prepared to be underwhelmed! If you want to go somewhere, just do it - buy the ti